The Organ at Calvary Episcopal Church
The organ at Calvary Episcopal Church was built in 1927 by the E. M. Skinner Organ Company of Boston, Massachusetts. The opus #651 originally consisted of 24 ranks of pipes in four divisions: Choir, Great, Swell, and Pedal. Today it consists of 59 ranks in the same four divisions. The tonal philosophy of the E. M. Skinner instrument reflects the heavily romantic era in which it was built. While it could faithfully reproduce music written in the Romantic Era, it could not do the same justice to the classic literature, much of which was composed by Johann Sebastian Bach. It could not adequately reproduce the contemporary literature either, as it lacked the "stops" to do so.
Beginning in the 1960's and continuing to the present, the instrument has undergone a gradual enlargement and tonal transformation. The enlargement of the organ was done by the M. W. Lively Organ Company during the 1970's and 1980's. In 1995, the instrument was removed from the church and received a complete mechanical rebuild (new wind chests, releathered reservoirs, and the addition of a solid state memory system). The mechanical work was done by the Quimby Organ Company of Warrensburg, Missouri, which maintains the instrument.
Upon its return to the church, the entire organ was revoiced in order to more closely unite the early pipework of the original instrument with the additions. This voicing was done by Mr. Jon Hendriksen, formerly head flue voicer of the Aeolian-Skinner Organ Company, successor company to the E. M. Skinner Company. During late 1999 and the early part of 2000, the instrument received further voicing adjustments by Jonathan Ambrosino and Jeff Wiler, two of the most sought-after people in their field.
For specifications, click here.